- Put your solid gold pieces on after your beauty routine to minimise exposure to hairspray, creams and make-up, and don’t let them come in contact with cleaning or household chemicals.
- Give your pieces a clean before putting them away, as tarnish can develop during storage if there’s lingering oils or other substances on the surface.
- Always store your jewellery individually to avoid scratches in a cool, dark place away from extreme temperature or bright sunlight.
- The easiest way to remove tarnish is by using a gold cleaning bath dip, such as the “Hagerty Gold Clean”. Pop your pieces into the included basket and submerge them into the cleaning solution. With a quick stir and a couple of minutes wait your pieces should look brand new again. Rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Always make sure to check the gemstones on the products. Some stones, particularly soft ones like pearls and opals, can be damaged by the chemicals in the gold cleaning bath dip. Check with your jeweller first that your pieces will be safe if used with cleaning chemicals. Always read the instructions on whatever cleaning dip, solution, or cloth you choose.
- Alternatively you can use a dedicated gold polishing cloth. Take care when cleaning stone-set pieces to be sure not to catch the claw settings with your cloth.
Please see our Materials & Care page for more information on how to care for other metals.